In this futuristic full-contact sports game your challenge is to take Brutal Deluxe, the worst team in Speedball history, and turn them into champions.
Play in knockout, league or cup matches. Buy and sell players to improve your team. Train your squad at the gym. Tackle, pass and score goals. Pick up armor and weaponry on the pitch. Try to survive the season.
|1 PLAYER GAME
|A single player game mode against the computer
|2 PLAYER GAME
|A game mode between two players
|Shows a demo match
|Shows replays of previously recorded goals
1 Player Game
|A series of matches against ever-tougher teams until you lose.
|Control Brutal Deluxe, one of the less-fancied sides in Division 2, through the Speedball League.
|Control Brutal Deluxe through a knockout tournament.
|A match with no opposition for practising in.
Before each match in Knockout, League, and Cup modes, the player can
manage the team in the Manager screen.
2 Player Game
Choose from a single match, or a best-of-three or -five match series.
Each player will gain access to the Gym screen before each match
to upgrade their players.
- Go to the Transfer screen (only if there are players
available on the market).
- View the current League table or Cup fixture list.
- View the previous match statistics.
- Save the League/Cup tournament progress. It is recommended to use
THEA500’s Save game feature instead.
- Go to the Gym screen.
- Leave the manager screen and start/return to the match.
- View details of the upcoming/current match.
- Scroll through the players.
- Substitute a player. Selected player in the squad will be replaced
by the chosen subtitute.
- Squad portraits
- Select which player will be substituted.
- Individual training
- Cycle through players to train individually.
- Group training
- Cycle through groups of players (attack, midfield, defence,
subtitutes) to train individually.
- Team training
- Choose to train all players on the team.
- Buy all
- Buy 10 points of training in all attributes.
- Leave the gym screen and return to the Manager screen
(or start/continue the match).
- View details of the upcoming/current match.
- Scroll through the players/groups.
- Buy 10 points of training in the currenly selected attribute.
- Select aggression training. Aggression governs whether the player
will attack or avoid opponents. Very aggressive players will ignore
the ball and focus on attacking opponents.
- Select attack training. Attack governs skill in taking the ball from
- Select defence training. Defence governs skill in preventing the
ball from being taken from the player.
- Select speed training. Speed governs movement speed, sliding and
- Select throwing training. Throwing governs how far a player can
throw the ball.
- Select power training. Power governs how much damage a player’s
tackles do to opponents.
- Select stamina training. Stamina governs resistance to being
- Select intelligence training. Intelligence governs awareness of
surroundings, and prediction of player and ball movements.
- Leave the transfer screen and return to the Manager
- View details of the upcoming match.
- Scroll through the players available to buy.
- Buys the selected player – money will be deducted from your bank,
the selected player in your squad will be dismissed, and the new
player will take their place.
- Squad portraits
- Select which player will be replaced.
You always control the closest player to the ball. They will be
highlighted with an arc in your team colour, or (if they are currently
in possession of the ball) with a letter denoting which position they
are in (A: attackers, M: midfield players, D: defenders, W: wingers, G:
Move the player with
If you are in possession of the ball, press the action button to throw
it. A short press will throw the ball at waist height, a longer press
will throw the ball high in the air. Use
just after throwing
to apply a subtle aftertouch to the direction of the ball.
If you are not in possession of the ball, and the ball is in the air
near your player, press the action button to attempt to jump and catch
If you are not in possession of the ball, and the ball is on the ground
near your player, press the action button to attempt to slide and pick
If the ball is in an opponent’s possession, press the action button to
attempt a tackle.
Points are awarded for the following:
- Each goal scores 10 points.
- Bounce Domes
- Hit a bounce dome with a ball to score 2 points.
- Star Targets
- Hit a star target on the opposing end of the pitch with a ball to
score 2 points. Light up all 5 stars for a 10 point bonus. Hit
lit-up star targets on your own end of the pitch with a ball to
switch them off, deducting 2 points from the opposing team’s score.
- Score Multiplier
- Take control of the score multiplier to increase all other points
scored. Throw the ball up the ramp to swing the score multiplier to
your team’s control. Lights on top of the score multiplier show
which team is in control. One light denotes a ×1.5 multiplier, and 2
lights a ×2 multiplier.
- Injuring opponents
- Injure an opposing player (causing them to be stretchered off the
pitch) to gain 10 points.
Other field features
- Throw a ball at the electrobounce to electrify it. An electrified
ball will tackle players that it hits. Take control of the Score
Multiplier to increase the number of players the electrified ball
- Warp Gate
- Throw a ball into a warp gate to transport it from one side of the
pitch to the other.
Tokens apply an effect for 6 seconds on pickup.
- Freeze team
- Freezes the opposing team
- Reverses the movement controls of the opposing team
- Reduce team
- Reduces all opponents’ attributes to minimum
- Increase team
- Increases all your players’ attributes to maximum
- Increases all players’ attributes to maximum
- Slow team
- Reduces all opponents’ speed attributes to minimum
- Grab ball
- Teleports the ball into your current player’s hand
- Teleports the ball into your centre forward’s hand
- Goal door
- Prevents the ball entering your goal
- Makes your team immune to tackles
- Full energy
- Boosts a single player’s energy and attributes to initial values
- Zap team
- Tackles all on-screen opponents
Hardware items affect a single player. Players holding a hardware item
that are tackled will drop the item. Items dropped in this way twice
- Increase speed
- Increases defence
- Increases power
- Increases throwing
- Increases intelligence
- Increases attack
- Increases stamina
- Bitmap Shades
- Increase aggression
Coins add 100 credits to your bank (200 in a Cup match).
- Many followers of the league reckon that Powerhouse are well overdue
for relegation. Due to several violent clashes with Lethal Formula
their defence is severely weakened and their attack in unable to
summon the strength that nearly brought them victory.
- Rage 2100
- Despite a reputation for extreme violence the other qualities of the
team have prevented them from ever scraping themselves off the lower
ranks of division 1. Their power and attack are notable but they are
no longer an effective first division team.
- Mean Machine
- Due to a series of defeats their defenders and midfield have become
have become a liability to the team. They have suffered fewer
injuries than most teams because of their defensive abilities and
- Explosive Lords
- Although on paper this team is very average some have doubted the
ability of their attack. The light build of this squad has resulted
in a slightly faster team that generally avoids contact.
- Lethal Formula
- Taking after their name, this is the most destructive team in
divisiion 1. Their attack squad contains players who combine extreme
aggression, power, intelligence and attacking abilities. Many
players have fallen under the blows of Lethal Formula.
- Turbo Hammers
- The best defensive squad in the whole history of Speedball, few
balls get past the grabbing hands of the Turbo Hammers. Once they
have the ball few are able to recover it and long throws down the
pitch have set up many goals. The midfield complement the strong
defence and the attack are competent but nothing special.
- Fatal Justice
- An attack that is second to none has sometimes placed Fatal Justice
at the top of the league. Speed, intelligence and power have given
them a string of victories though their defence has not been quite
- Super Nashwan
- The superstars of the league, spending every day in training and
tactics sessions has resulted in a team that relies upon sheer skill
rather than brutality. To have played Super Naswan is to have player
the best, their position in the league has sometimes been challenged
by Fatal Justice and Turbo Hammers, they have no apparent
- Basically the worst team in the Speedball League. Midfield and
attack are appaling, the only redeeming feature is a slightly less
than average defence which have shown some signs of intelligence.
- Raw Messiahs
- Another hopeless team, their extreme aggression is let down by their
low power. Their defence is the lowest in the division and the rest
of the team hardly rise above their level. A team that will provide
little resistance to a concerted attack.
- Violent Desire
- Despite their name this team is unaggressive and weak in the attack,
their defence has proved its strength in past seasons but this
average team has never risen to the upper ranks of the division
despite the defence’s above-average speed and throwing range.
- A team that has specialised in lightning attacks for a couple of
seasons. They are intelligent but their defence has generally
weakened the side. They have occasionally threatened Steel Fury for
the top position in the division.
- With one of the best attacking formations in the division the
Renegades are rated highly among Speedball experts. This attacking
strength is let down by an average defence. Fast, intelligent, and
agressive, few can stop the Renegades.
- The defensive squad of this team are legendary, few shots get past
their excellent goalie. The defenders have some of the best throwing
arms in the division and can down most attackers. Intelligence
combined with speed make Damocles formidable in all areas.
- Steel Fury
- Steel Fury have sat at the top of division 2 for three seasons in a
row, after a frantic spending spree they now have a first rate team.
The fast super-intelligent attackers have broken nearly every team
in the league, they are supported by an experienced and unshakeable
- Blue team’s score
- Blue team’s energy
- Time remaining
- Red team’s score
- Red team’s energy
During the past two years, Speedball has undergone a transformation.
Teams have been reorganised and renamed, new stadia have been built, and
the league has been split into two divisions. The most important changes
have occurred on the pitch: it’s now 100% bigger, and includes a host of
new features. Speedball 2 is a different ball game.