Firmware upgrades for THEC64 Mini provide new features and/or correct any technical issues. We always recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of the firmware.
Ensure that your USB memory stick is formatted using FAT32 (with MBR), else your upgrade file will not be detected. See the FAQ for further details.
Please note that only C64 programs supplied by Retro Games Ltd for use on THEC64 Mini are covered by the Warranty. This does not affect your statutory rights. Please read the Warranty for further details.
Version 1.2.0 – Changes
- Adds a complete new game for free to the GAMES CAROUSEL! Galencia for the Mini is licensed from Jay Aldred and is the winner of the Reset64 Magazine 2017 Commodore 64 Game of the Year Award
- Introduces the Virtual Joystick. You can now select all options on THEC64 Mini and even play games just using a USB keyboard. See Virtual Joystick for further information
- Improves the File Loader to allow multiple programs to be configured at once. See Setting a Default Configuration for Multiple Programs for further information
- Remembers the mute state of the CAROUSEL music between reboots
- Improves the general performance of THEC64 Mini screens and menus
Galencia is the winner of the Reset64 Magazine 2017 Commodore 64 Game of the Year Award. It is a colourful, highly polished, Galaga inspired single-screen shoot-em-up.
Jay has worked really hard to produce a special version of Galencia just for THEC64 Mini and its 720p display, and it makes maximum use of the upper and lower borders for graphics, right up to the edge of the screen! Be aware however, that some HD TVs might crop some of these border graphics when displaying the 720p image. This is not a fault with Galencia or the Mini and we recommend that you refer to your TV settings.
Previous changes included in version 1.2.0
- v1.1.4 – Corrects a recent firmware issue where joysticks like the Logitech F710 were no longer detected
- v1.1.2 – Fixes an issue with some USB directory layouts resulting in an empty file list
- v1.1.1 – Amended USB behaviour to help resolve issues users experienced with some USB memory sticks when using the File Loader
- v1.1.0 – Introduces the File Loader so compatible programs can be loaded from USB. See File Loader for further information
- v1.1.0 – Fixes a small issue with the German Virtual Keyboard
- v1.1.0 – Adds the in-game help function in ‘Avenger’ to button A on the joystick
- v1.1.0 – Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements.
How to Upgrade
- Check the current firmware version on THEC64 Mini by selecting the SYSTEM icon from the OPTIONS on the HOME screen, and then choose System information from the menu. Look for the Build version (e.g. theC64-1.1.0)
- Check that the latest version linked to above is greater than the version installed on your Mini
- Download and save the file (e.g. theC64-1_2_0.bin) to your USB memory stick. Don’t place the file inside a folder on the stick or rename the file. If you do, THEC64 Mini won’t find the upgrade
- Insert the USB memory stick into an unoccupied USB port on THEC64 Mini
- Ensure you have a joystick or alternative controller connected to another USB port
- Select the SYSTEM icon from the OPTIONS on the HOME screen on the Mini, and choose System Information
- The upgrade file is detected and you are asked to Close or Apply
- If you choose not to upgrade at this time, select Close and press FIRE, or just press the MENU button on the joystick If you Apply the upgrade, the following screen will appear showing the upgrade process:
- After a successful upgrade, your Mini will shut down and restart automatically.
- You can check the firmware version afterwards by following point (1) above.
Note that you cannot install a firmware earlier than the build version currently installed.