Loading Programs in C64 BASIC
Aside from the File Loader function, you can also load and run your own legally obtained C64 programs (including games, demos, utilities and so on) from BASIC on THEC64 Mini by following these simple instructions.
Please note that only C64 programs supplied by Retro Games Ltd for use on THEC64 Mini are covered by the Warranty. This does not affect your statutory rights. Please read the Warranty for further details.
First step: Preparation
1. You need a USB memory stick (maximum size of 64Gb) which must be formatted using FAT32
2. Copy the d64 disk file that contains the program you want to load onto the root of the USB memory stick
3. Rename your disk file on the memory stick to THEC64-drive8.d64
4. You are now ready to load your program from BASIC on THEC64 Mini.
Second step: Loading your Program
1. Make sure you’re at the Carousel screen then insert your USB stick into THEC64 Mini
2. If you have firmware v1.1.0 or above installed, a USB icon will appear on the HOME screen after a few seconds
3. Launch BASIC from the Carousel
4. Type the following two commands exactly as shown here:
4. Identify the name of the program you want to run from the list displayed
5. Type the following command, replacing NAME with the name of the program from step 4:
6. Some programs will load and start automatically. For others, you may need to type the following command afterwards:
Don’t forget to press RETURN after typing each command.
There are some limitations to the existing method of loading programs from a USB memory stick when in BASIC:
- For C64 programs that need a joystick, only joystick port 2 is available from BASIC.
- Joystick buttons other than the MENU button and the two main FIRE buttons have no functionality in programs loaded from a USB memory stick in BASIC.
If these limitations are too restrictive for you, please see the File Loader for an alternative method for loading other programs on THEC64 Mini.
Due to licensing requirements, we cannot offer advice as to which programs currently work using this method and which ones do not.