This firmware update (v1.6.1) is applicable to THEC64, THEC64 Mini and THEVIC20.
Firmware updates provide new features and correct issues. We always recommend that you update to the latest version of the firmware. The latest version also contains the changes from previous versions.
Ensure that your USB memory stick is formatted using FAT32 (with an MBR) otherwise the update file will not be detected. When updating please ensure that your THE64/Mini or THEVIC20 only has one joystick or mouse connected to it. If you are upgrading a THEVIC20 or THEC64 we recommend using the rear USB port for your memory stick (note THEC64 Mini does not have a rear USB port). We do not recommend plugging the USB stick into a USB hub to perform the update. See the FAQ for further details.
Features introduced in version 1.6.1
- [All models] Adds Commodore 1351 mouse support to the C64
- [All models] Adds support for up to four joysticks
- [All models] Adds support for THEMOUSE
- [All models] Adds support for THEGAMEPAD
- [All models] Adds a new game Space Lords, a multi-player game that utilises the new mouse and multi-joystick support
Applying the update
- First check the current version of your firmware by performing the following steps:
- If you are in Classic mode, press MENU, select Options > Device settings > System information
- Or if you are in Carousel mode, select Device settings (spanner icon) > System information
- Look for the current Build version (e.g. theC64-1.5.2-xxxxx)
- If you are not currently running the latest version the firmware and wish to update, proceed as follows:
- Download and save the firmware update file to your USB memory stick. Don’t place the file inside a folder on the stick or rename the file. If you do, the firmware update will not be recognised.
- Insert the USB memory stick into an unoccupied USB port on THEC64/Mini or THEVIC20 (we suggest the rear USB port if one exists)
- Select menu Device settings > System information
- The update file will be detected and you will be given the choice to Apply the update or Close the screen
- If you choose not to update at this time, select Close. If you Apply the update, the following screen will appear showing the update process:
- Do not interrupt or remove power while the update is in progress. After a successful update the console will restart automatically.
You can check the firmware version afterwards by repeating points 1..4.
Note that you cannot install a firmware earlier than the build version currently installed.
List of previous changes
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64 European] Fixes inconsistently displayed Blue Star carousel cover image
- v1.5.2 – [All models] Allows the primary C64 joystick port to be switched in-game
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds C64 only Classic mode
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds disk swapping for multiple disk games
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds soft and hard reset hot-keys to Classic mode
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds freeze button support to Classic mode
- v1.5.2 – [All models] Adds Commodore REU support with 512K, 2MB or 16MB as filename flags or CJM parameters
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Hessian (C64) and PET Snake (C64)
- v1.5.2 – [THEC64] Hessian (C64), PET Snake (C64), City Crusher (VIC20) and Mine Sweep (VIC20)
- v1.5.2 – [THEVIC20] Hessian (C64), PET Snake (C64), City Crusher (VIC20) and Mine Sweep (VIC20)
- v1.4.2 – [THEC64/THEVIC20] Fixed: Under some circumstances a C64 game might not recognise joystick port 2 when VIC 20 is the default machine
- v1.4.2 – [All models] Adds Datasette controls for tape files in Classic mode Media Access menu
- v1.4.2 – [THEC64/THEVIC20] Adds soft and hard reset hot-keys to THEC64 and THEVIC20 Classic mode
- v1.4.2 – [THEC64/THEVIC20] Adds freeze button support to Classic mode
- v1.4.2 – [THEC64 North America] Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger, Soulless, Galencia and Planet of Death, plus VIC20 games Blue Star, The Keep, and Gridrunner
- v1.4.2 – [THEC4/THEVIC20 European] Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger and Soulless, plus VIC20 games Blue Star and The Keep
- v1.4.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger and Soulless
- v1.4.2 – [THEVIC20] Allows Tank Battle to support two joysticks
- v1.3.2 – [All models] Increases the length of displayed USB filenames in Media Access and the File loader
- v1.3.2 – [All models] Fixes an issue where filename flags are not detected if the USB filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops
- v1.3.2 – [All models] Fixes an issue with the saved states location where multiple spaces are found in the USB filename
- v1.3.2 – [All models] Fixes the saved states location used on a USB stick to be unique per filename. Note that this may change the saved states location from previous firmware versions if the filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops
- v1.3.1 – [THEC64] Fixes an issue when using Left Shift key and top-left arrow key for opening/closing THEC64 Menu from BASIC
- v1.3.1 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds a C64 game Farming Simulator by GIANTS Software GmbH
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Fixes an issue regarding the current computer model setting and different model requirements specified in a cjm file
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Adds a function to sort the games carousel of the HOME screen by title, author, composer, genre and year
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Introduces a new filename flag FH and cjm file option ‘fullheight’, which squeeze the entire display (including top and bottom borders) into the output image, at the expense of a perfectly scaled rendering at 720
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Introduces a new filename flag NS and cjm file option ‘noaudioscale’, which disable the audio scaling feature (sometimes required if sampled sound is adversely affected with audio scaling on)
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Automatically adjusts the SID audio pitch so that it more correctly matches NTSC and PAL models (referred to as audio scaling).
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Adds an option to Shutdown the device from the Device settings menu, rather than having to press the power button
- v1.3.1 – [THEC64 Mini] Extends the virtual joystick controls, adding other keys for highlighting and selecting options and opening and closing THEC64 Mini menu without needing a connected controller
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Changes the joystick configuration for pre-installed titles on the GAMES CAROUSEL to allow some third-party controllers to now fire using their shoulder buttons
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Improves support for third-party controllers that use axis, hat and stick buttons. You can now map functions to those buttons as well
- v1.3.1 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds compatibility with THEC64 Micro Switch Joystick
- v1.3.1 – [All models] Fixes an issue with Nobby the Aardvark on later levels. Unfortunately, this means that any previous saved games for Nobby the Aardvark are no longer available.
- v1.2.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Includes Galencia Mini on the GAMES CAROUSEL
- v1.2.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Introduces the Virtual Joystick
- v1.2.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Improves the File Loader to allow multiple programs to be configured at once
- v1.2.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Remembers the mute state of the CAROUSEL music between reboots
- v1.2.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Improves the general performance of THEC64 Mini screens and menus
- v1.1.4 – [THEC64 Mini] Corrects a recent firmware issue where joysticks like the Logitech F710 were no longer detected
- v1.1.2 – [THEC64 Mini] Fixes an issue with some USB directory layouts resulting in an empty file list
- v1.1.1 – [THEC64 Mini] Amended USB behaviour to help resolve issues users experienced with some USB memory sticks when using the File Loader
- v1.1.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Introduces the File Loader so compatible programs can be loaded from USB. See File Loader for further information
- v1.1.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Fixes a small issue with the German Virtual Keyboard
- v1.1.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Adds the in-game help function in ‘Avenger’ to button A on the joystick
- v1.1.0 – [THEC64 Mini] Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements