Upgrade THEC64 Mini Firmware
Firmware upgrades for THEC64 Mini provide new features and/or correct any technical issues. We always recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of the firmware.
Ensure that your USB memory stick is formatted using FAT32 (with MBR), else your upgrade file will not be detected. See the FAQ for further details.
Visit here for the firmware upgrade details page for THEC64.
Version 1.3.2 – Changes
- Increases the length of displayed USB filenames in the File loader
- Fixes an issue where filename flags are not detected if the USB filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops
- Fixes an issue with the saved states location where multiple spaces are found in the USB filename
- Fixes the saved states location used on a USB stick to be unique per filename. Note that this may change the saved states location from previous firmware versions if the filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops.
Previous changes included in version 1.3.2
- v1.3.1 – Adds a complete new free game to the GAMES CAROUSEL on THEC64 Mini. Farming Simulator by GIANTS Software GmbH
- v1.3.1 – Adds a function to ‘Sort by’ author, composer, genre, year and title (the default) by pressing button A on the Joystick whilst on the HOME screen
- v1.3.1 – Automatically adjusts the SID audio pitch so that it more correctly matches NTSC and PAL models (called audio scaling).
- v1.3.1 – Introduces a new filename flag FH (‘fullheight’ when added to the X entity in a cjm file), which squeezes the entire display (including top and bottom borders) into the output image, at the expense of a perfectly scaled rendering at 720p
- Introduces a new filename flag NS (‘noaudioscale’ when added to the X entity in a cjm file), which disables the audio scaling option (sometimes required if sampled sound is adversely affected with audio scaling on)
- v1.3.1 – Adds an option to Shutdown the device from the Device settings menu, rather than having to press the power button
- v1.3.1 – Extends the virtual joystick controls, adding other keypresses for highlighting and selecting options and opening and closing THEC64 Mini menu without needing a connected controller
- v1.3.1 – Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements since v1.2.0
- v1.3.1 – Changes the joystick configuration for pre-installed titles on the GAMES CAROUSEL to allow some third-party controllers to now fire using their shoulder triggers
- v1.3.1 – Improves support for third-party controllers that use axis, hat and stick buttons. You can now map functions to those buttons as well
- v1.3.1 – Adds compatibility with THEC64 Micro Switch Joystick
- v1.3.1 – Fixes an issue with Nobby the Aardvark on later levels. Unfortunately, this means that any previous saved games for Nobby the Aardvark are no longer available.
- v1.2.0 – Includes Galencia Mini on the GAMES CAROUSEL
- v1.2.0 – Introduces the Virtual Joystick
- v1.2.0 – Improves the File Loader to allow multiple programs to be configured at once
- v1.2.0 – Remembers the mute state of the CAROUSEL music between reboots
- v1.2.0 – Improves the general performance of THEC64 Mini screens and menus
- v1.1.4 – Corrects a recent firmware issue where joysticks like the Logitech F710 were no longer detected
- v1.1.2 – Fixes an issue with some USB directory layouts resulting in an empty file list
- v1.1.1 – Amended USB behaviour to help resolve issues users experienced with some USB memory sticks when using the File Loader
- v1.1.0 – Introduces the File Loader so compatible programs can be loaded from USB. See File Loader for further information
- v1.1.0 – Fixes a small issue with the German Virtual Keyboard
- v1.1.0 – Adds the in-game help function in ‘Avenger’ to button A on the joystick
- v1.1.0 – Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements.
How to Upgrade
- Check the current firmware version on THEC64 Mini by selecting the SYSTEM icon from the OPTIONS on the HOME screen, and then choose System information from the menu. Look for the Build version (e.g. theC64-1.2.0-argent)
- Check that the latest version linked to above is greater than the version installed on your Mini
- Download and save the file (e.g. theC64-1_4_0.bin) to your USB memory stick. Don’t place the file inside a folder on the stick or rename the file. If you do, THEC64 Mini won’t find the upgrade
- Insert the USB memory stick into an unoccupied USB port on THEC64 Mini
- Select the SYSTEM icon from the OPTIONS on the HOME screen on the Mini, and choose System Information
- The upgrade file is detected and you are asked to Close or Apply
- If you choose not to upgrade at this time, select Close and press FIRE, or just press the MENU button on the joystick If you Apply the upgrade, the following screen will appear showing the upgrade process:
After a successful upgrade, your Mini will shut down and restart automatically.
You can check the firmware version afterwards by following point (1) above.
Note that you cannot install a firmware earlier than the build version currently installed.