Firmware upgrades for THEC64 provide new features and/or correct any technical issues. We always recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of the firmware.
Ensure that your USB memory stick is formatted using FAT32 (with MBR), else your upgrade file will not be detected. See the FAQ for further details.
Visit here for the firmware upgrade details page for THEC64 Mini.
Version 1.4.2 – Changes and additions
- Fixes an issue with THEC64: Under some circumstances C64 games may not recognise joystick port 2 when VIC 20 is the default machine
- Adds Dattasette controls for tape files in THEC64 Classic mode Media Access menu
- Adds soft and hard reset hot-keys to THEC64 and THEVIC20 Classic mode
- Adds freeze button support to THEC64 and THEVIC20 Classic mode
- Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger, Soulless, Galencia and Planet of Death, plus VIC20 games Blue Star, The Keep, and Gridrunner to THEC64 North American model
- Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger and Soulless, plus VIC20 games Blue Star and The Keep to the European THEC64 and THEVIC20 “Special Edition THEC64” models
- Adds C64 games Barnsley Badger and Soulless to all THEC64 Mini models
- Fixes Tank Battle on THEVIC20 to support two joysticks
Changes from previous versions
- v1.3.2 – Increases the length of displayed USB filenames in Media Access and the File loader
- v1.3.2 – Fixes an issue where filename flags are not detected if the USB filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops
- v1.3.2 – Fixes an issue with the saved states location where multiple spaces are found in the USB filename
- v1.3.2 – Fixes the saved states location used on a USB stick to be unique per filename. Note that this may change the saved states location from previous firmware versions if the filename contains multiple dots/periods/full stops.
- v1.3.1 – Fixes an issue when using Left Shift key and top-left arrow key for opening/closing THEC64 Menu from BASIC
- v1.3.1 – Fixes an issue regarding the current computer model setting and different model requirements specified in a cjm file
How to Upgrade THEC64
- In Classic mode, press MENU, select Options > Device settings > System information
- In Carousel mode, select Device settings (spanner icon) > System information
- Look for the Build version (e.g. theC64-1.3.2-amora)
- Check that the latest version linked to above is greater than the version installed on your device
- Download and save the file (e.g. theC64-1_4_2.bin) to your USB memory stick. Don’t place the file inside a folder on the stick or rename the file. If you do, THEC64 won’t find the upgrade
- Insert the USB memory stick into an unoccupied USB port on THEC64
- Press MENU and choose Device settings> System information from the menu
- The upgrade file is detected and you are asked to Close or Apply
- If you choose not to upgrade at this time, select Close and press FIRE, or just press the MENU button on the joystick If you Apply the upgrade, the following screen will appear showing the upgrade process:
After a successful upgrade, THEC64 will restart automatically.
You can check the firmware version afterwards by following point (1) above.
Note that you cannot install a firmware earlier than the build version currently installed.