Firmware updates for THEA500 Mini provide new features and correct issues. We always recommend that you update to the latest version of the firmware.
We recommend unplugging the mouse before applying the firmware update.
Ensure that your USB memory stick is formatted using FAT32 (with an MBR) otherwise the update file will not be detected. We advise using a USB memory stick that is less than 32GB in size (see Why is my USB stick not detected).
When updating please ensure that your THEA500 Mini only has one Gamepad connected and we recommend unplugging the mouse. Do not plug the USB stick into a USB hub to perform the update. See the FAQ for further details.
Features introduced in version 1.1.1
- Adds ADF (floppy) file support
- Adds Playlist support
- Adds Hot-Crop
- Adds Keyboard control of the user interface
- Allows the Virtual Keyboard to be accessed at all times
- Allows controllers to be physically swapped during play
- Swaps THEJoystick (THEC64 Joystick) fire buttons
- Configures Competition Pro SL-6603-TWT joystick fire buttons
- Fixes the Virtual Keyboard Cursor-Right button
- Fixes v1.1.0 Saved Game issues (missing saves and UI freezing)
- Fixes v1.1.0 Emulator gui access
- Fixes v1.1.0 speed reduction in some circumstances
Applying the update
- Download the latest firmware.
- Copy the firmware onto the root directory of a FAT32 MBR formatted USB stick. Do not place it in a folder.
- Insert the USB stick into your THEA500 Mini.
- Go to Options → Advanced options → System information.
- We recommend unplugging all peripherals from THEA500 Mini, including the mouse, leaving only the Gamepad and USB stick.
- THEA500 Mini will check if there is a newer firmware on the USB stick and, if so, give you the options to Update or Cancel.
- Selecting Update will begin the installation process. THEA500 Mini will display a progress bar which will fill up from left to right as the update proceeds.
- Do not interrupt or remove power while the update is in progress. After a successful update THEA500 Mini will restart automatically.
You can check the firmware version afterwards by repeating step 4.
Note that you cannot install a firmware earlier than the build version currently installed.